Fixing a Legal Problem Between Landlord and Tenant

If there’s a legal problem between you and your tenant, the best way to resolve it is to get help. Generally, you can go to a lawyer or a Better Business Bureau to file a complaint. In some cases, it’s possible to withhold rent from the tenant if he’s behind on rent or violated an important lease clause. If you can’t find help from the landlord or BBB, you can contact your local tenants’ council.

Another option is to file a lawsuit. If the landlord has ignored your requests for repairs and you can prove that you’ve been paying more than the rent due, you can sue him for the difference. However, this process will likely damage your relationship with your landlord and put an end to any positive progress you have made. In addition, this method will probably result in a lawsuit, so this isn’t the best option for you.

The first step in your lawsuit will be to gather evidence. Photos of problems in the property and witness testimony will help prove your case. If you don’t have enough evidence, you can ask for a postponement of the eviction. If you feel that your eviction is imminent, share with the landlord that you have a valid emergency or safety concerns. The landlord may be unable to make any repairs before the eviction date.

After a court case, you can file a complaint against the landlord and claim the difference in rent and value for a defective property. But the landlord must be sufficiently angry with you, that he may decide to terminate the rental agreement or refuse to renew the lease. If this happens, you must file a new lawsuit in another state. You should also remember that this type of lawsuit is often cheaper as a group. It’s also easier for you to contact your landlord if you’re dealing with a large number of people at one time.

If you’ve noticed damage to the property and the landlord doesn’t do anything about it, you may be able to hold him liable for it. If you have documents showing that you notified the landlord about the problem, it’s important to note that this is not a minor cosmetic issue. If you’re concerned that the landlord doesn’t fix the problem, you may want to consult a private lawyer.

If you’ve tried other options and your landlord won’t fix the problem, you might want to file a lawsuit. This method can be effective, depending on the severity of the problem and the requirements of your state. However, you’ll need to speak to a landlord-tenant lawyer first before taking any action. A good place to start your search for an experienced landlord and tenant attorney in Chicago is the local lawyer directory.

If you’ve tried to contact the landlord and getting no response, you’ll likely find that your landlord is not doing as they promised. Moreover, if the landlord doesn’t fix the problem within a reasonable timeframe, you might be able to get a court order to have the landlord to fix the problem. If the landlord fails to make repairs, you may be able to get a reduction in your rent, but you’ll need to get the problem resolved.